So what makes quiz funnels so appealing? Why do so many brands adopt this specific marketing approach to acquire leads? Is it a new trend or an approach that fades away?
What are the advantages and disadvantages?
How exactly do they work? Are they complicated? How can we create them to produce results in our business?
These are just a few of the questions I’m going to answer with this article.
I’m also going to share some examples of quizzes and funnels in action from various brands, entrepreneurs, and my quizzes as well.
So let’s dive in!
The Power Of Quiz Funnels
What is a Quiz Funnel? How It Works
A quiz funnel is essentially a sales funnel that is created on the back of a quiz.
A sales funnel is a marketing model that illustrates the various stages of a customer journey. The number of stages varies depending on the theory or marketing approach. The goal here is to convert unknown visitors into leads and subscribers, paying and repeat customers, and ultimately raving fans of a brand.
At every stage of the buying journey, there are opportunities for brands to communicate with prospects and customers, and depending on their actions to provide them with the next step they want them to take.
In most cases, marketers divide a funnel into 3 major sections, the top, middle, and bottom of the funnel.
The top of a funnel is centered on people’s needs and wants and is being used to drive brand awareness and generate leads. Brands use a multitude of channels and methods (blogs, reports, case studies, free downloads and material, eBooks, checklists, social media, paid ads, SEO, videos, podcasts, influencer marketing, or even cold tactics like phone calls, cold emails, guerrilla tactics like street advertising and so on) to get people’s attention and drive them into their world by providing valuable, interesting, and engaging content.
People that are interested in a brand move further down the funnel, from the top to the middle. At this stage, brands communicate with acquired leads to further engage with them, nurture and educate them, and monitor their behavior. Email campaigns, webinars, workshops, training, live events, and other methods are being deployed to prove a brand’s value and inform leads and prospects about the quality of its products and services.
The bottom of the funnel is where brands try to convince and persuade prospects into doing business with them. Here, we try to eliminate objections, position our brands as superior, communicate our products and services’ unique advantages and benefits in order to inspire action. Brands use salespeople or automation, phone calls, CRM, the power of communities, and other channels to close the sale.
As we can see, a variety of marketing and sales channels and methods can be deployed but we can also automate parts of the process by using online tools and marketing automation software and by providing content tailored to a prospect/customer’s needs depending on the stage of the funnel they are in.
But marketing does not stop there, in fact, it never ends.
Even when brands have successfully converted unknown visitors into leads, prospects, and customers, they keep on engaging and delighting paying customers to turn them into repeat buyers and ultimately raving fans and promoters.
Now, quizzes are mostly used at the top of the funnel as a method to drive awareness and generate leads (lead magnets) and are based on a series of interesting, attention-grabbing questions.
When people complete the questions, they are being asked to share their email address so we can deliver their results, usually in the form of a report, email, video, etc. This way, brands acquire leads and are able to tag/segment quiz participants based on their answers in their marketing automation software or other means.
We follow up with content tailored to a quiz participant’s answers to provide value in advance, address their needs, and nurture them into our brand’s values, principles, and ethics.
We also get invaluable data and insights that we can use to improve our product line quality, create new products and services that the market needs, and solve people’s problems.
In some cases, brands might use quizzes in the middle or bottom of the funnel to engage with hot leads and prospects. The questions’ nature and style will be different though than those used at the top of the funnel.
How Brands Use Sales & Quiz Funnels
History: In 1898, E. St. Elmo Lewis developed a model that mapped a theoretical customer journey from the moment a brand or product attracted consumer attention to the point of action or purchase. St. Elmo Lewis’s idea is often referred to as the AIDA model, an acronym that stands for Awareness, Interest, Desire, and Action. This staged process is summarized below:
- Awareness – the customer is aware of the existence of a product or service
- Interest – actively expressing an interest in a product group
- Desire – aspiring to a particular brand or product
- Action – taking the next step towards purchasing the chosen product
During the last years, sales funnels have gone mainstream, especially when ClickFunnels, a software company offering automation tools in an easy-to-use platform, entered dynamically the industry in 2014.
There are many different marketing theories and approaches to sales funnels but the idea behind them is to attract visitors, convert them into subscribers and leads, and paying customers.
Now, quiz funnels have become extremely popular when Ryan Levesque, creator of the ASK Method, found a unique way to discover what customers want using surveys, quizzes, questionnaires, and assessments.
He applied the ASK methodology to many brands and corporations and then decided to create the ASK Method Masterclass, a training program teaching the methodology to entrepreneurs all over the world.
A couple of years ago, Ryan created the Quiz Funnel Masterclass, an extension of the ASK Method, a training program focused solely on quiz funnels.
Since then, tens of thousands of entrepreneurs have enrolled in this training program and started using quizzes in their businesses with massive results.
Ryan is using a holistic and proven approach that starts with research, which is the most important step in any marketing approach. Getting to know our prospects and the market better.
He then identifies problems, untapped opportunities, people’s needs and wants, and builds an automated machine that serves his ideal customers, provides solutions, and satisfies their needs.
He builds sales funnels based on a series of questions to automate the whole process and create multiple income streams.
We use sales funnels extensively on this website. In fact, there are over 500 active funnels right now. We use a variety of lead magnets, call-to-action buttons, banners, and other media.
We use sales funnels for our clients as well.
We started using quiz funnels in 2018.
Quiz funnels can be used in any business, industry, or niche. They work for physical and digital products, services like coaching and consulting, local businesses, eCommerce, membership sites, software, and so much more.
Brands of all sizes, sole entrepreneurs, bloggers, marketers and agencies, coaches, consultants, copywriters, software companies, and service providers use quiz funnels.
The main benefits of a quiz funnel:
- Cheap leads/low cost (businesses can cut their costs, often 1/3rd to 1/1oth the cost because quizzes are getting completed at higher rates than other marketing forms and magnets)
- You minimize risks and avoid big traps and reduce production costs by focusing only on products people really want to buy
- Fast results. Quizzes often go viral as people love them and share them on their networks, so you are getting traction pretty quickly.
- High conversions. People that complete a quiz have higher chances of converting into paying customers because brands can identify people’s wants and needs in a unique way
- High volume – people love quizzes, quizzes are getting completed at higher rates than other marketing forms, people share them with their network. Also, they love to get asked questions about themselves and they hate being sold to products and services without any real interaction
- Incredibly valuable data. Insights into people’s desires and needs, the language they use, and so on.
- Better sell and better serve your ideal prospects. You can focus on the “right” people and ignore people that don’t have a real interest in your products. More importantly, by giving people exactly what they want, you gain raving fans and brand advocates
Quiz funnels outperform other types of funnels in terms of cost per lead, engagement, and conversion rates.
We also get to collect valuable data and feedback from prospects so we can better serve them. We gain insights into the language people use so we can take advantage of it in our copy and landing pages, and in other formats of digital content we produce, like articles, visuals, videos, podcasts, etc.
Are Quiz Funnels Complicated?
It’s not a marketing methodology that you’ll be able to apply overnight. Quiz funnels and sales funnels, in general, are advanced marketing strategies that require experience, experimentation, refining, improvement, and tweaks.
You need to be able to monitor the data you collect, analyze them, identify people’s needs, wants, problems, and challenges so that you can improve your product line and innovate.
There are many moving parts and a plethora of marketing tools and software that we use to create those funnels and improve them over time.
We use content marketing, email marketing, copywriting, video marketing, social media, influencer outreach, videos, webinars, live events, and a host of other channels.
You also need to know how to create landing pages with engaging visuals, and in essence, websites that build trust and convert.
Are Quiz Funnels Fading Away?
Absolutely not. It’s a marketing approach with countless benefits for all the parties involved, brands, the market, the final consumers.
People love them as quizzes are interactive and interesting, and they have the chance to express their opinion in a collaborative way.
Brands are able to identify people’s needs, segment audiences using valuable data and feedback, improve product quality and create innovative products that the market needs.
Jeanna Gabellini – Client Attraction Superpower Quiz
Jeanna is a master business coach, law of attraction expert, and for the last 25+ years she’s been helping business owners liberate themselves from the curse of “not enough” and the satanic myth “hard work pays off”.
There are four categories of client attraction superpowers.
You need to tap into your strengths in order to attract clients like a magnet, not chasing them.
The quiz reveals the common mistakes people make with your superpower, so you don’t have to.
Believe it or not, you have a superpower but you don’t know how to use it yet.
You will receive a free digital report explaining your results and a video.
My #1 client attraction superpower is known as “IN” or “Innovation Superpower.
The report continues…
You plop yourself onto the leading edge…which can look many different ways. It can be entertaining, artsy, extra fancy with tech, or simply busting up the old paradigms in your niche.
…your ability to captivate them with your uniqueness is what will take them from interested to sold. Your spirit of innovation will be a breath of fresh air.
This is just a tiny fraction of the report that goes deep, it’s actually 9 pages long.
How It Works
Jeanna uses the quiz as a hook, a lead magnet to attract people and drive them into their world. She uses other lead magnets as well, like free challenges, eBooks, checklists, and webinars.
She follows up with email and other marketing and retargeting campaigns, she provides training in various formats like webinars, challenges, free masterclasses, and more.
The ultimate goal is to lure people into her masterclass training program and other services.
Hope Writers – Free Quiz For Authors – Discover Your Writing Stage
Hope Writers is a community dedicated to helping authors and aspiring authors find their way to getting published and succeed.
They have vast experience and they truly care about their members.
This quiz is all about identifying your writing stage.
There are 6 stages in total.
The quiz is fast, it takes only 30 seconds to complete and you will discover where you are right now and you will know what to do next with your writing.
Hi Anastasios Tzortzis. You passed discover your writing stage with 53%.
Stage 4: The Author 51-65%.
If you haven’t written a book yet, you’re probably on your way. You’ve done the work of identifying your reader and understand the difference between writing and publishing. Hope*writers can teach you how to write a book proposal and pitch to an agent or editor.
How It Works
Hope Writers use the quiz as a hook, a lead magnet to attract people and drive them into their world.
From there, they follow up with email and other marketing and retargeting campaigns, they provide training in various formats like webinars, challenges, special Tuesday’s teachings, and other free goodies and lead magnets.
The ultimate goal is to lure people into their community that has various membership options.
Janeen Alley (Ryan Levesque’s student)
Janeen is a health & life coach.
Janeen was not 100% ready when she launched the quiz, she was afraid, for sure, but she took uncomfortable action. Ryan believes that this is just the beginning.
A 4-kid family woman living in Colorado, Denver.
She helps busy moms lose weight and gain vibrant energy even if they don’t have enough time or be able to stay consistent.
She says…I help you to make time, stay consistent, lose weight, feel better, get fit and transform your life!
She was teaching classes in her basement. She also had read the book “Ask” by Ryan and she knew about list segmentation.
She created a membership and she was wondering where to find people to join her membership.
In 2018, she started a podcast. She was broadcasting at least once per week and that was taking much of her time.
She also had a list of 170 people. After the podcast, her list grew to 250 people and she had 30 paying clients into her membership.
But when she created a quiz funnel for her business, she was able to get 1,100 people opting in, and that happened in just a few weeks.
And after just 16 days she got 370 leads and 3 sales.
The quiz title was “What type of super mama are you?”
She asks questions like:
- Which of the following best describes your situation during the week?
- Which of the following age range applies to you?
- Which animal best describes your parenting style?
- Which of the following best describes your morning?
- What is your current favorite activity with your kids?
- Which one best describes your nighttime/sleep habits?
- If you could choose one superhero sidekick, which one would it be?
- Which one best describes your Super Mama Kryptonite?
- How would you best describe your efforts to feel better?
- If you could pick one, which reason resonates the best with your desire to obliterate your kryptonite?
When people complete the quiz, Janeen sends them a short video explaining their results and offering some valuable advice, and diagnosing their current situation.
When people watch their explanatory video of Janeen, they feel like Janeen knows a lot about them. Because it speaks to their specific situation. It’s like Janeen is able to read their minds.
The next step in Janeen’s funnel is a webinar where she provides additional information and invites them to work privately with her.
Simple stuff, no overcomplicated sales funnels. Just a quiz, a follow-up video, a few emails, a webinar, an invitation to work with her.
A lead costs $0.35 on average to Janeen, she had experienced a 53% optin rate.
In her last month’s webinar, she had 5 people attend it live and 4 out of them purchased her offer.
These numbers might seem small to you but consider the conversion rate, it’s 80%.
This is huge.
Janeen, an ordinary mom without credentials or degrees, used her experience to help other moms become productive, get healthy, and regain energy.
This story shows the real power of what happens when you decide to help other people and you are only 1 or 2 steps ahead of them.
You don’t need a Ph.D. nor a professional research paper to justify your actions.
WebMarketSupport – Free Quiz – Starting A New Business
WebMarketSupport is a marketing agency and it’s the website you’re on right now 🙂
More and more people want to start a business especially online, but this is not an easy task. This free quiz helps people find answers to their concerns.
The quiz promises you to:
- Discover your entrepreneur type and what it means
- Discover the ideal business model for you, based on your goals, your background, your resources, and the lifestyle you want to live…
- Discover what kinds of products and services are the best fit for your personality
- Discover what the marketplace needs right now, your target audience, and if there are untapped opportunities you should focus on
How It Works
When someone completes the quiz, we analyze their input and we send them a custom report via email explaining their results and what to do with this information today.
If they reply to the first email, we continue the conversation and we offer a free video-call 30′ interview to discuss their project, to find out more about their business background and experience, their goals, and we analyze the way we work.
We also give them a short overview of our “7 Ideals” marketing methodology.
We then follow up with email and other marketing campaigns, free webinars and other training, so they get to know us better and build trust with them. We provide eBooks, checklists, reports, and other free downloads to further the interaction.
We tag (segment) people that took the quiz in our email service provider so we can monitor their actions and provide content tailored to their needs.
The ultimate goal is to lure people into our marketing and business growth services. We also provide private training workshops, website development and hosting services, and multimedia production.
When you have an arsenal of products and services to offer, quizzes can be proved extremely powerful as they are getting completed at much higher rates than other marketing collateral.
We drive traffic to this quiz either immediately with paid advertising campaigns on Google, Bing, Facebook, and organically through our homepage, popup messages that show up on certain pages, banners, and through our footer (the bottom section) that is showing up on about 70% of our pages. And have in mind, that there are over 1,300 pages hosted on this property today.
At this point, where we have traffic coming in from various sources like search engines, social media, referral (from other websites), and a video channel, it doesn’t cost us anything to acquire leads via this quiz. 3 years ago, when we first built this quiz we used to pay for ads, but even at that time, the cost per lead was minimal.
We use a similar funnel with our free questionnaire “what does your dream business look like?”
We also use quizzes and other formats of sales funnels to promote partners and sponsors on this website.
MARKETING | ADVERTISING | SALES
- Identify and reach your target audience – comprehensive guide
- Guerrilla marketing – ultimate weapon if done right
- What is branding in business and how to build a brand
- Direct response marketing – all you need to know
- Does product appearance matter? a story, research, and more
- Don’t push customers to buy
- How to Build a Content Marketing Campaign for your Next Event
- Key Coupon Marketing Strategies To Accelerate Sales
- 11 common blogging mistakes that cost you a fortune
- Ways To Sell Unwanted Gift Cards: Save Time and Money
Marketing & Business Related Catalogs
- High-Class Marketing Automation Software
- Best Keyword Tools in 2021 and Beyond
- Free tools to generate ideas for content
- Affiliate marketing index (informational articles, how-to’s, guides, resources, networks, forums, and more)
- Quiz Funnel Live Training June 22 @ 3 pm CT – How Ryan Built A $10M Per Year Business
- Quiz Funnel Workshop June 14, 2021
- Quiz Funnel Workshop Final Session – A Quiz Funnel Made For You For Free
- Free Quiz – What Type Of Funnel Is Right For Your Business?
- Ryan Levesque – Choose Ask Build Challenge June 7-11, 2021 Review
- The Power of Quiz Funnels
- Choose Ask Build Free Challenge – Day 03 Today June 09 @ 3 pm CT
- Choose Ask Build Free Challenge – Day 02 Today June 08 @ 3 pm CT
- Ryan Levesque – Quiz Funnel Free Calculator
- Quiz Funnel Workshop Training 2020
- Ask Method Masterclass Full Review – Answering All Questions
- Hope Writers | Free Quiz For Authors – Discover Your Writing Stage
- Quiz Builders & Generators To Engage Your Audience
- WebMarketSupport – Free Questionnaire | What Does Your Dream Business Look Like?
- WebMarketSupport – Free Quiz – Starting A New Business
- Quiz Funnel Masterclass Detailed Review – All The Truth
Ryan Levesque - Quiz Funnel Masterclass
Registrations Open Hurry Up!
Amazing bonuses from me and Ryan's team
The creator of the AskMethod
Ryan Levesque, the Inc. 500 CEO of The ASK Method Company, and the #1 national best-selling author of Ask, which was named by Inc. as the #1 Marketing Book of the Year, and his team are hosting a highly interactive live workshop to help you visualize the incredible power of getting insights into your audiences’ minds with quizzes and how to build highly effective quiz funnels from start to finish.
In this 6-week live training, you’ll discover how to use quiz funnels to scale your business.
- Your quiz hook
- Your quiz offer
- Your quiz questions
- Your quiz pages
- Your quiz follow-up
- Optimization & scaling
The training includes:
- Live weekly Q&A calls
- Live funnel reviews
- Step-by-step checklists & templates
- The ultimate quiz swipe 10-year file
- The private FB community
- Lifetime access
Plus, you’ll get access to these official bonuses
- Bonus #1 - Bucket 2.0 enterprise software ($4,500 value)
- Bonus #2 - quiz traffic secrets training ($2,500 value)
- Bonus #3 - choose ask build business-in-a-box training ($3,500 value)
- SUPER Bonus #4 - We build your quiz funnel for you ($10,000)
Plus, my extra bonuses
- Bonus #1 - a beautiful, professional, and highly converting custom made website ($1,000 value)
- Bonus #2 - 50+ weekly private training 1-1 sessions on Zoom. Exclusive private training, coaching, and feedback Business, marketing & advertising, sales (priceless)
- Bonus #3 JUST ADDED. We'll create your first 10 info-products together to fill your funnels applying my "7 Ideals" methodology ($997 value)
This advertisement is sponsored. For more information, I refer you to the disclaimer page
Quiz funnels are a modern way of attracting customers, build brand awareness and trust, and convert visitors into leads and paying customers.
They have gone mainstream and if you are not using them, you are going to be left behind.
Need help in creating your first quiz funnel? We can help.
Schedule a free video-call interview to help us understand where you are at your business right now, your needs and goals, and we will give you a detailed analysis of how we work. Then, we’ll create the first quiz funnel for you for free to prove we can get you results.
Want to know more about quiz funnels? Ryan Levesque is hosting a 5-day free challenge this Monday.
Ryan will help you implement the “Choose Ask Build” process.
You’ll learn how to choose the right market and business for you, find out exactly what people want to buy in that market, and build your automated marketing machine to get people to know, like, trust, and buy from you over and over again.
That’s it, another article has finished, here on Web Market Support. I am waiting for your comments and thoughts. Till next time.
Tasos Perte Tzortzis
Marketing Specialist, Entrepreneur
Although doing traditional business offline since 1992, Tasos fell in love with online marketing in late 2014 and has helped hundreds of brands sell more of their products and services on the web.
He enjoys reading, music & arts, mathematics, chess, coffee, swimming, Audi, and playing with his kids.