Today I am reviewing the online course entitled…”Tribe Writers” that is created by Jeff Goins. The course aims to teach aspiring authors around the globe how to hone their own unique voice in order to be heard in this noisy world. Jeff believes that only when authors use an online platform and build their tribe it is when they have a chance to stand out.
But that is absolutely true for everyone that wants to take advantage of the internet in order to build a profitable business. You need a platform to attract the right people that will become your fans.
So let’s dive deep…
Who is Jeff Goins
Jeff is a serial writer, best selling author of five books (including the national bestseller “The Art of Work” and has been featured in various magazines like Entrepreneur, Forbes, and Publishers Weekly.
Additionally, he runs a very popular blog with over 350,000 monthly visits at the time speaking. He started like everyone else, with zero readers and zero traffic. But he managed to gain 100,000 subscribers in a period of 18 months. And, of course, is the founder of the online course, Tribe Writers.
…And people around him always ask if it’s too late to start a blog, to start a career as an author, to write and get paid. The fear of the ship that has sailed far away and there is no hope for. Damn, what if I started 2 years ago, what if I chose another career back then, what if that, what if this … questions that torture human minds.
Jeff Says It’s NOT Too Late
I was reading a book by Jeff Goins during the weekend, called It’s Not Too Late. The book is about authors and motivation but the writing style of Jeff gives a tone very unique, something I have not met before, and that alone says everything…and I will explain why, keep on reading.
It’s not too late because the world is hungry for more great work. There is still one story we have not heard yet, one idea we have not seen.
and I absolutely agree with Jeff here. What if all the scientists in the world thought that it was too late for them. Would we experience so many inventions? In fact, it’s never too late to do anything, there’s always time. Here in my country, we use to say…” You better start even belated, rather than not starting ever”
back to Jeff’s book
Writers, musicians, and public speakers, all have something to say. But without attentive audience words fall on deaf ears.
That’s because you need a Tribe. You need attention to your work.
but how do you attract the attention of others?…and how do you engage with those who pay attention to your work?
Most bloggers and writers ‘just want to write’ hoping to get noticed by a publisher or gatekeeper. Then they think they will leave all the marketing and promotion stuff to the others, the professionals.
That’s a bad idea…why?…guess what … those other guys do not exist anymore. There are fewer and fewer gatekeepers who actually have the power to pick you.
You know who knows the most about your audience, your readers?….YOU….and who is in charge of you successfully sharing your message with the rest of the world?…again, it’s YOU
Then Jeff is sharing his story, very briefly, uncovering the help he got from a friend. And how he started.
Jeff’s Tribes Real Power
According to Seth Godin, Tribe is a group of people connected to one another, connected to a leader and connected to an idea. For a group to be a tribe all you need are two things, a shared interest and a way to communicate.
For a writer, a tribe does not have to be huge. A small but dedicated group can do the work just fine. If that small group of people believes in your work so much they are willing to share it with others. They become your promoters with no incentive other than they love what you do and want to spread the word about it.
The Rest of the Book
Then Jeff is presenting his method, analyzing it step by step.
- How to hone your voice and get dedicated followers and fans to boost your online presence.
- How to persuade people using your words (copywriting).
- How to establish a platform (and it is not about blogging or CMS platforms)
- How to expand your reach (by solving problems, answering questions, helping people)
- How to overcome the challenge
- How to Go Pro
- Get paid to do what you love
And the last section refers to other aspiring and successful authors, writers, publishers, and entrepreneurs. They give their own point of view and share their most used methods. Among the names, you will trace my mentor Ray Edwards, Nathan Barry, Asha Dornfest, Carlos Whittaker, Michael Port, Marion Roach and many more…
Update – 12 Oct 2017 – The Writer’s Roadmap
Jeff published a new e-book which I read a few days ago. It is entitled “The Writer’s Roadmap” and It’s about 12 essential steps you should take in order to make a living writing. Here is the breakdown of the book…
- Intro – You don’t have to starve (if you do this)
- Step 1 – Clarify your message with a worldview statement
- Step 2 – Pick your platform personality
- Step 3 – Launch a blog
- Step 4 – Publish one post per week
- Step 5 – Start an email list
- Step 6 – Publish a manifesto
- Step 7 – Get your first 100 subscribers
- Step 8 – Publish 10 guest posts
- Step 9 – Get 1,000 subscribers
- Step 10 – Conduct a survey
- Step 11 – Launch MVP and make your first 1,000
- Step 12 – Start making 10,000/month
You can share your ideas and your stories with the world and make a living doing so. And you don’t have to be a best-selling author or a super popular blogger to do it. But you do have to pay attention to the way other people have succeeded. You are no different than the other aspiring authors and writers. We all have a unique way of looking at the world, a particular perspective that informs our message. Every great writer has a worldview. So, how do you find yours?
Formula…Every [People/Group] Can/Should [Action]
Platform personalities: the Journalist – build his platform by asking questions. The only requirement is curiosity. The Prophet – builds its platform on telling the truth. The requirement is a passion for authenticity. The Artist – builds the platform by creating art. The requirement is an eye for beauty. The Professor – builds the platform on facts and information. The only requirement is a longing to learn. The Star – earns the audience through charisma. The Star platform is the oddest type of platforms but the most visible.
You need a blog, now. The world is changing and moving on without you. It’s time for you to share your message through a blog. This section includes an 8-minute tutorial on how to get started. It’s important to deliver new content every week. You have to do this consistently.
Every writer needs an email list. It’s the best way to build an engaged audience. Once you have an email list, you need to find ways to attract new people in that list. This is how you grow your tribe. The best way to do that is by offering ‘Lead Magnets’, or in other words, a manifesto. This manifesto should be a summary of your worldview statement. A short, shareable document that quickly lets your readers know what you are.
Start inviting friends to signup to your list and reach your first 100 people. Guest posting is a powerful tool to grow your platform, develop relationships, increase the visibility of your content, generate new opportunities. Start building links to your site. Make a list of 10 heavy hitters and pitch them about your work.
With 1,000 true fans, you have a tribe, and you can make a living off your art. Don’t try to guess what people want from you. Ask them by conducting a survey. It’s that easy. And then, give them exactly what they want.
Now it’s time to create your first product. But not a fancy app or a full-length book. Something short and valuable that you can create in the next 2-4 weeks. Don’t overthink it. The first product Jeff created was a keynote presentation. He completed it in a week and turned it to a PDF. Here’s how it works: Once you have the survey results, pick the easiest thing you can create. Tell your audience that you’re going to create it and give them the option to buy it ahead of time at a discount (pre-selling the product). Try to sell at least 10 copies before you build it. Spend a week launching the product. Keep selling it until you reach $1,000/month.
Scale by reaching a larger market. Partner with affiliates and get access to other people’s audiences. Charge more for your products and services. Sell more often.
All in all, this is the basic process of creating a platform, attracting an audience, turn visitors into fans and scale by building an email list, conducting surveys, and creating products that peope want. I absolutely agree.
Grab your free copy of the book
Tribe Writers – The Course
Those books are a prelude to what the Tribe Writers course is all about. The course has launched about 10 years ago and is very successful, as has lead thousands of writers to find their own voice and audience. The course is the exact same blueprint Jeff uses to earn influence by his writing.
Who is it For?
- Authors – fiction and non-fiction.
- Coaches, consultants
- Bloggers, marketers, entrepreneurs
- Social media experts
4 training modules
- Module 1 – Honing your Voice: You’ll learn what to say and how to say it. A deep dig into the craft of writing to learn how to write for an audience.
- Module 2 – Establishing a Platform: Learn how to build a powerful platform to publish your best work. Practical ins and outs of blogging. Email list strategies and techniques. Which blogging personality you are and how to reach your first 1,000 subscribers.
- Module 3 – Expanding your Reach: Time to find your audience. The secrets of successful guest posting. How to get published in magazines, how to become a networking ninja. This training session is all about influence.
- Module 4 – Getting Published: What it takes from start to finish. Choose 1 from 2 options (traditional route or self-publishing). Learn how to make money with your writing.
- Access to the 6,000 members community. Forums and discussion groups to interact with other students, share your work, get feedback, have your questions answered.
- Admission to the private Facebook group only for students and alumni
- 30+ video lessons
- Exclusive interviews with experts (over a dozen of authors, bloggers and publishing experts like Sean Platt, Johnny B Truant, Marion Roach Smith, Seth Godin, Carol Tice, Mary DeMuth, Time Ferriss and more…)
- 8 weeks of email support
- Live conference call with the teacher (Jeff), to ask questions and get help
- Hours of archived audio content from past classes
- Over $500 in Free Resources plus a downloadable PDF workbook with a summary of every lesson and interviews.
- Affiliate opportunity to make your money back (not available to the public)
- Unlimited membership to the entire course material
- Bonus #1 – You are a Writer – ebook and audiobook. The book is a bestseller on Amazon and was the inspiration for the course. ($20 value)
- Bonus #2 – Friends, Fans, Patrons: A non-sleazing guide to networking. An exclusive guide to building influence and helpful relationships. This is how Jeff grew his email list from 0 to 100,000 in 18 months. ($20 value)
- Bonus #3 – The perfect book launch. A step-by-step plan to launch your first or next book and to make it a success. This section is inspired by book marketing strategies of best-selling authors. ($50 value)
- Bonus #4 – Kindle publishing mini-course: A 50-minute audio program walking you through the exact same process that Jeff uses to get an ebook on Amazon and how to launch it. ($100 value)
- Bonus #5 – WordPress tutorials: a detailed 20-video series to help you master the WordPress platform. How to create posts, pages, installing plugins, configuring widgets, settings, customization…and more. ($190 value)
Only the bonuses and the other goodies worth a few thousand dollars. The support is enormous and the access to the private Facebook group and forums will be proved unparalleled. You can’t build an online business without a place to ask questions and get help from others that used the same system as you.
The course’s promise
- Everything you need to know about blogging, social media, and online marketing so you don’t stay anonymous any longer
- Discover what to say by honing your own unique voice
- Figure out how to say it in a way that is both effective and authentic
- Build a powerful platform where you can publish your work without requiring someone else’s permission
- Attract an audience of readers who will gladly share your message with the world
- Get the attention your writing deserves
- Stop hiding in the shadows of other writers
What Tribe Writers students say
- TB blew my mind. With every click, I was astounded at the progression and quality of the content. High-level thinking exercises. It’s deep and practical. Jeff gets inside the head of a writer and helps us make peace with this weird craft…Mike Loomis
- The best course I’ve ever taken. Jeff organized the modules to take the writer on a logical journey. I took my blog to the next level and grew my readership. Taught with passion and a humble spirit, this course should be taken by every writer…Maria Morgan
- This course gave me the courage to move forward with my writing. The encouragement among fellow classmates is invaluable…Joan Hall
- Jeff has provided invaluable material at a frightfully low price. I may have a Master’s degree in writing, but now I feel I have the necessary tools to reach my readers…Eric Von Mizener
What other successful people say
Jeff’s blog was one of the first blogs I read. Ever. I was never much of a blog reader until I came across Jeff. I became a regular in his comments and eventually, we connected. Next thing that happened was Jeff became a client. I’d been running affiliate programs for more than a decade when Jeff and I first connected. When Jeff asked me to run the affiliate side of his ‘Art Of Work’ book launch, things really took off. Like all of our clients, Jeff became a friend. I know he is who says he is. Is the real deal and wants what is best for his students. Tribe Writers is just flat out amazing…Matt McWilliams – affiliate manager.
Price and Options
- Standard: $497 one time, or $49 per month for 12 months.
- Premium: $997 one time, or $99 per month for 12 months
But you have access to the material for a lifetime.
Jeff is using a proven path to success. The methods and strategies provided in this online course will get you on the right track. Because it is not enough to write. You have to market yourself in the marketplace. The best writers are not necessarily the most popular ones.
You have to find your own unique voice and craft a crystal clear message. Then you have to build a platform to attract and connect with your audience. From there, you need to build trust, engage and create relationships to take your writing business to the next level.
Blogging, email list, link building, surveys and creating products are tools that can make you stand out from the crowd. But have in mind that success won’t come overnight. You have to make it happen. If you’re not willing to apply what you learn then this course it’s not for you.
This course is a perfect fit for people that are not afraid to work, and for those that have dreams and hopes. If you are ambitious and want to make an impact on other people’s lives then you should try Tribe Writers, it’s a complete course to create an online business.
And you’re not alone. You have access to the supporting community where other students discuss, interact, and share ideas and knowledge. Without support, you won’t go far. And Tribe Writers offers unlimited support.
This course is being promoted by top names in the industry like Jeff Bulas, Dan Miller, Vic Johnson and this is extremely important.
There are some sections of the course that are not very detailed, but Jeff is always updating the package with new information. Moreover, the overall content is very long and expand in areas I would not expect. All in all, a comprehensive training course that could help you achieve your publishing goals.
It’s not too late to succeed as a writer and get your message noticed.
That’s it, another review has finished, here on Web Market Support. I am waiting for your comments and thoughts. Till next time, your online partner.
Some of the links on this page are “affiliate links”. This means if you click on the link and purchase a product, membership, or service, I may receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. Regardless, I only recommend products and services I use personally or I believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s: Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising. For more information, I refer you to the Disclaimer page.