At the early stages of traditional marketing, there have been used techniques that are becoming less effective as time goes by. Old marketing is interruptive, intruding and forces content to the masses without building any kind of relationship.
It is based on repetition and it strongly depends on the budget of a company.
On the other hand “Inbound” marketing is focused on people and their needs. It is attractive, helpful and most importantly interactive. It is based on personal efforts and creativity but it is not expensive.
Modern consumers love this kind of marketing and they have a chance to discuss with a company before they make a purchasing decision.
Inbound vs Outbound Marketing Techniques
Larry Kim from Wordstream has presented a beautiful list in a mini-infographic
- Search spam
- Paid/rented email lists
- TV, radio, print ads
- Billboards, outdoor advertising
- Throwaway press releases
- Pop-Ups & Pop-Unders
- Contextual Ads
- Outbound sales calls
- Interstitial pages
- Trade show booth
- Paid social media advertising
- Forum, comment and UGC spam
- Banners and display ads
- Paid app reviews
- Video Ads
- SEO & PPC (keywords , targeted demographics)
- Opt-in email lists (earned usually in return for something valuable)
- Authoring books/print media
- Supporting/sponsoring events
- Press & public relations
- Thought leadership
- Community building
- Influencer outreach
- Public speaking
- Earned social media
- Word of mouth & viral marketing
- Content creation & marketing (research / white papers, infographics, webinars, podcasting, Q&A sites)
- Organic app store visibility
- Video content
Wikipedia explains that “Inbound” marketing refers to marketing activities that bring visitors in, rather than marketers having to go out to get prospects’ attention.
HubSpot analyses … Instead of the old outbound marketing methods of buying ads, email lists and praying for leads, “Inbound” marketing focuses on creating quality content that pulls people toward your company and products, where they naturally want to be.
HubSpot Defines “Inbound Methodology”
There are 4 stages of marketing and 5 types of people (depending on which stage of the buying cycle they fit)
- In the beginning, we have the “Strangers” that we need to “Attract” (blogs, keywords, social) and turn them into “Visitors”.
- On this 2nd stage we “Convert” visitors into “Leads” (forms , call to action , landing pages).
- On the 3rd stage we “Close” leads into “Customers” (CRM, email, workflows).
- On the last stage we “Delight” customers into “Promoters” (surveys, smart content, social monitoring).
…and the cycle begins again when the “Promoters” or our continuing marketing efforts bring new “Strangers”
Now that the experts analyzed everything how can I provide some additional value to this subject?
I thought to create a short video using the Pow Toon maker
What type of marketing techniques are you using?
Do you think that some of the old methods are still effective?
How much of Inbound and how much of Outbound tactics shall we apply to our marketing efforts?
… Did you enjoy my video?
That’s it, another article has finished, here on Web Market Support. I am waiting for your comments and thoughts as always. Till next time…