Alison , is a global online learning community where you can attend free courses in order to develop essential and certified workplace skills.Ideal for those that are looking for a job , a promotion , a college place or to start a new business.
How it Works
You decide what you want to study , pick up the right course and start learning , take the assessments on your pace , get your certificate.The free certificates are downloadable but the official certifications are only being send to you if you purchase them.
Alison was founded in Ireland in 2007 by the global leader and innovator Mike Feerick.They claim to have 6 million learners in 250 countries and is recognised as MOOC (Massive open online courseware).
Diploma courses (some examples out of 76 courses)
- Project management , business management & entrepreneurship , web design
- Human resources , psychology , customer service
- Social media marketing , c programming , accounting , advanced controls & transactions
- Children’s studies , workplace safety & health , operations management
- Mathematics , human anatomy & physiology , nursing
- Legal studies , electrical studies , information technology management
Business and enterprise skills (examples out of 156 courses)
- Building a web business , customer service training , accounting – control and monitoring of cash
- Business intelligence & knowledge management systems , characteristics of the successful entrepreneur
- Leadership skills in business , fundamentals of marketing your business online
- Introduction to banking , corporate management , art of negotiation
Digital literacy & IT skills (examples out of 107 courses)
- Touch typing training , computer training suite , microsoft excel 2003
- Adobe photoshop , how to create your first website , microsoft office 2010
- Google android development , network security , PHP and MySQL programming
Personal development and soft skills (examples out of 32 courses)
Digital photography , personal success , time management , colour theory for artists and designers
English , French , German , Spanish , Irish , Arabic , Swedish , Chinese
Maths hub and the General school courses
Health – Safety & Compliance (9 courses)
- Behaviour – based safety , food safety knowledge , back safety
- Workstation ergonomics , food safety training , drug-free workplace
- Managing safety and health in schools
Health literacy (examples out of 74 courses)
- Ebola virus , diet and nutrition , mental health and illness
- Childhood and youth studies , alcohol and its effects , HIV / AIDS – awareness and prevention
- Healthy living , human skeletal system , macronutrients
Financial and economic literacy (examples out of 34 courses)
- Financial literacy , aggregate supply and demand , stocks and short selling
- Currency exchange , financial maths , government economic policy
Each course is separated into modules and there are tasks and assessments to complete.Additionally you can participate in the forum of the community to interact with others , express your opinion or to give / receive help.
The catalogue is huge , I will display only a few
- Advance learning academy , Agnite , Amazon web services
- AMEDD center and school , Android developers , Brian Lindshield
- British council , Cambridge university , Chris Farrell
- Christine Williams , Columbia , David Briggs , Harvard
- Julia Richter , Khan academy , Microsoft , MIT , Rebecca Murphey
- Russell Stannard , Stanford , University of Kansas , US Aid
The free online learning management system (LMS) allows teachers , clubs , managers or even like minded friends to create a group of learners and guide them as they complete any of the 750+ resources.
You can import learners , group them , assign different courses , set deadlines and report on progress , all from the dashboard.
Workforce Re-entry program
- Advanced diploma that provides learners with the soft skills they need to find gainful employment
- Low cost Alison parchments that users can purchase and use as a record of their learning achievement for parole boards , Workforce development providers and potential employers
Benefits of Alison
For students – The 750+ free courses cover a wide range of categories.Students gain workplace focused skills through the practical and applicable to the real world courses.The certification is verifiable and recognised globally.
For teachers – They can engage with their students using the study groups.They can test and verify students’ knowledge with the flash testing system.
Alison certificates and diplomas are only awarded upon course completion with a score of 80% or more.There are also offered customised certificates for group management.
For employers – They can upskill their existing workforce or verify candidates knowledge.The same benefits apply as for teachers.
For publishers – They can publish their courses and earn revenue from the printed certification purchases.They can reach over 6 million learners and digitise content in traditional media.
If you want to partnership you may complete an application form.
Social Media Marketing Course Overview
- Introduction to websites , autoresponders and e-books , building a list
- Affiliate marketing , increase traffic , email marketing , social media marketing
- Twitter , audacity , podomatic , module & WordPress – blogging on the web , Facebook
The course is created by the well known marketer , Chris Farrell.There are videos to watch and tasks to complete.
This is a basic knowledge course that can set you in the right way to earning money online and build businesses.It is not advanced but there are important aspects covered , so I guess anyone could learn how to make a living online.
If you are looking for an advanced training on Internet Marketing and Online Businesses I would highly recommend you check out the Wealthy Affiliate University.
Alison is a great resource center for knowledge on important economic and other categories.The certificates are recognised globally and there is a community behind the scenes.
I can not judge the quality of the overall content but through investigating the Social Media Marketing section I felt satisfied.
There is no rush in taking the courses and the multimedia material are useful and practical.
Anyone can join for free and test the resources on his own.
That’s it, I hope you enjoyed another review, here on Web Market Support. I am waiting for your comments and thoughts. Till next time.
Tasos Perte Tzortzis
Marketing Specialist, Entrepreneur
Although doing traditional business offline since 1992, Tasos fell in love with online marketing in late 2014 and has helped hundreds of brands sell more of their products and services on the web.
He enjoys reading, music & arts, mathematics, chess, coffee, swimming, Audi, and playing with his kids.