As the latest trends in internet marketing and social media point out to great visual content I am in a constant hunt for awesome design applications and lately, I discovered another free online photo editing tool with which you can make miracles, literally.
Be Funky Review
.. “The Ultimate BeFunky experience” .. “design your dream” .. “photo editing and graphic design made for everyone” .. are among the slogans you notice when you enter their homepage.
Excited I started right away
On the right side is the canvas, on the left is the tool dashboard.
- Crop, Resize. Rotate, Cutout, Background, Exposure
- Beautify, Color, Sharpen, Vignette
Blur & Smooth
- Smoothing. Blur, Funky focus, Soften, Blur edges
- Tilt, Tint, Levels, Color Mixer
As you can see only the Edit Mode has plenty of options. Let’s move on
You have the option to upload one of yours or use one of their libraries. I’ll go with the latter.
I selected Beautify at 63%, Vignette with current settings (I got dark corners), and lastly Blur Edges…Pretty amazing result in less than 30 seconds.
I will choose one of my royalty-free collection
I selected Crop just to check how it works. It is so easy you won’t believe it.
Next, I applied a Funky focus with radial and blur set to 2%. Then from the Levels menu, I chose the Midtones Darker preset. Another awesome utility.
As I was working I noticed a very useful feature. On the right side of the canvas there is a history tab showing you all the actions you applied so far.
Let’s see what is in the Effects tab of the dashboard.
- Black & White
I want the chromatic # 2, effect amount to 45%…Just beautiful. Now let’s add some text
There are some cool Text presets or you can add your own. The presets are marvelous and you can set the main color, outline and background color for your letters. Of course, there are options to change the font, size, spacing, opacity and many many more…
The application offers a layer function. That is unique and only expensive software can do that. Let’s see, I need 2 images to merge and mix. I opened my collection and worked on that for a while.
Now I want a frame (come with presets as well) and I am ready.
I will display the 2 original images and then the result in order to have a better understanding.
In the Mix
I uploaded an image to the application and proceeded with the…
There are so many presets that can satisfy even the most demanding individual. Every set includes many different elements.
The categories are
- Food, Geometry, Earth’s day, Valentine’s day
- Featured, Winter, Accessories, Animals
- Baby, birthday, design elements, emoticons
- Halloween, mother’s day, St Patrick’s day, Love
- Thanksgiving, Monsters, music, numbers
- Spring, autumn, speech bubbles, sports
- Stickers, zodiac, father’s day, summer
Let’s do it …
I chose a Bat from the Halloween set, I know it seems gigantic but we need some fun and BeFunky is a guarantee.
Then I took a robot from Valentine’s day set and placed it on the top of a roof.
I realized that I had to make a cartoonish effect so I moved onto the …
This is one of the top features in BeFunky.You can choose from
- Featured, Cartoonizer, Gouache
- Impressionist, Inkify, Oil Painting
- Pointillism, Sketcher, Under Painting, Watercolor
I applied the cartoonizer #1 and my image is ready.
The Photo Editor additionally includes
- Bokeh, scratches, light trails, light leaks
- Fabrics, grunge, paint, metal
- Bricks, paper
I will demonstrate an example with the current image – I will choose a fabric, let’s go with #2
But there is more
Overlays – but in a very creative way
- Winter holidays, alphabet, animals, floral
- Geometry, hearts, Earth’s day, Halloween
- St Patrick’s, Valentine’s, Numbers, Patterns
- Sports, Symbols
Let me think, yes I want the Cat..!
Another section inside the editor is the
- Blemish fix, bronzer, blush, flash spot
- Clone, mascara, eye color, eye brighten
- Eyebrow pencil, fix redeye, lipstick, teeth whitening
- Hair color, reshape, slimming
- Grid, a big photo wrap
- Facebook cover, Pinterest
… let’s create a Grid
I took the 16 photo pack and uploaded images from my previous posts. The app is very handy, you simply press on an area, add an image and there is the option to drag the image to the current spot you want.
I changed the background color to black.
You can set the spacing (mine is 10) and the corner rounding (here is 10)…What else should you need? All of that in a click of a mouse.
- Father’s day, winter holidays, birthday
- Baby shower, Valentine’s, Mother’s
This is an excellent feature as you simply choose a preset, upload an image and let the app do the rest. Some Cards can include more photos and you can be as creative as you want.
Another section is the
- Retro, polka dots, Mosaic
- Floral, geometrical, heart, wavy
BeFunky is not just a photo editing app. Let’s create something from Scratch
The Designer section
- Greeting Cards, event graphics
- Small business, blogger resources
- Social media headers & graphics
- Blank templates
- Lines, arrows, ribbons
- Shapes, ornaments, badges
- Frames, infographics (small chunks)
- Wedding, baby shower, birthday
- Travel, food
- Social media, illustrations
- Blank template, blue background, 4 infographic elements (boy, girl, 2 bars, circle)
- Illustrations (the butterfly), social media (a famous bird), Travel (the train)
- Birthday (2 balloons), wedding (the couple), frames (the yellow one)
- Ribbons (the grey), I added text and…
All the elements are editable so you can make your favourite changes. Of course, you can import any image into the palette. But I will use only BeFunky elements in order to be fair.
The mini-project is ready, I hope you like it
You can save any project to
- Google drive
When you upload an image you can use all of the above sources plus your Webcam
The app is available for mobile and you can get it through “App Store” or “Google play”
Is there anything else in BeFunky? – Inspiration Resources
They say ..”Tutorials, tips, and tricks to spark your creativity..”
- Tips for capturing Christmas holiday photos
- Designing dazzling blog post templates
- Grow your Instagram
- Create inspirational picture quotes
The blog is categorized so you can jump into any section you like
- What’s New
- Photo of the Day
I enjoyed the Photo of the Day department, a huge resource for inspiration
Among the authors, you can find
- Melanie Doncas (editor, founder of Whim Magazine)
- Marianne (solopreneur – Design your own blog)
- Lori Hil (freelance business & lifestyle blogger)
Some interesting topics
- Italian band TripleRock gets funky with their promotion strategy
- Va-Voom Vintage’s high-tech approach to old school fashion
- How Kristen Baumlier helps the community get funky with food.
- Doolittle jewelry puts their products in the right light with BeFunky
The Company members
- Tekin Tatar – CEO, founder
- Derric Hoffman – Product manager
- Azer Bulbul – Engineering director
- Rouli Willow – Lead UX / UI Designer
- Bjorn Ottesen – Lead interactive engineer
- Melissa Williams – Website engineer
- Janelle Albukhari – Content marketing manager
- Ian Hopkins – QA specialist
- Whitney Depaoli – Marketing assistant
- Alana McDonough – Office manager
To provide tools that are easy enough for anyone without expertise or technical skills to create beautiful photos and professional quality graphic designs.
- Be Open
- Funky – don’t be afraid to go against conventional wisdom and be your own unique self
….So beautiful words
in 2007 Tekin Tatar bootstrapped BeFunky with the help of friends and family. Their pioneer online photo editing tool garnered worldwide attention. Later that year, the company became a Tech Crunch Top 40 (out of 700 globally) and a spot on Digg website. Now over 25 million users enjoy the services of this unique application.
You can find Buzz and Rumours on their page from companies like
- The Washington Post
- Huffington Post
- New York times
- Tech blog
- Social Times
Employment – Careers
Interactive developer – Action script – Portland
Benefits & Perks
Health benefits, 3 weeks paid time off, Tasty snacks and drinks, awesome co-workers, Custom photobooth in office, happy hours, lunches and more…
The Basic membership is free for anyone and you have access to 125 digital effects and the photos can be exported with a maximum of 2500 x 2500 px resolution.
The Plus account costs only $24.95/year, almost $2 per month.Higher resolution (4000 x 4000 px) , expanded rights and features.
I am super satisfied with the application. It runs faster than any other online app I have used so far.
The features include almost everything I need for my social media campaigns.
The effects are powerful and can transform images in a creative way.
The Layers Function is something you won’t meet elsewhere easily and can make a huge difference when you want to present special or unique artwork.
Additionally, there is a blog with valuable information, case studies, and other helpful material.
Other Free Design Tools
- Fotojet – Create Beautiful Collages
- E-book cover creator
- Picture Quote Maker
- Online Logo Maker
I hope you enjoyed another design application. What are you waiting for? Jump into BeFunky and get started. As always, I’m looking forward to your comments and thoughts. Till next time.